Monday, February 15, 2010

Driveways

Cate went with me to let out Beau and Sierra yesterday morning. The two of us had stayed home from church after getting dressed and ready, because Cate was whining and moaning and generally acting pitiful. She had been a real handful as we got the other girls (along with Callie's sleepover friends) fed and out the door.

Cate finally perked up when I asked if she wanted to go to the neighbors' to help me take care of their dogs. We let the dogs out the front door, and watched them play along the line of bushes. As the dogs wandered through their front yard, Cate ventured out as well. It seemed as though calm had returned, and I smiled broadly as I watched Cate run with the dogs trailing behind. Despite the cold temps, the sun was shining and the fresh air was doing the trick - Cate was all smiles.

JUST as I had that sigh of relief, Cate tripped and planted both hands on an icy cold driveway next to the Strevigs. Instant tears, and uncontrollable sobbing. I'm pretty sure I've never heard her scream so loudly. Mason came outside from two doors down, concerned because of the crying he heard. By the time I made it to Cate from the porch (trickier in the slush), Mason was on his sidewalk, but Cate was crying too loudly for me to convey what had happened. He made his way over and it was still difficult to hear! I so appreciated his kindness in taking action when he heard Cate's crying.

In the end, it was really only a couple of skinned knees and dirty hands (which always hurt much worse in below-freezing temps!). She was beyond tired from a busy weekend, a bit under the weather, and surprised by her sudden fall.

Fast forward to tonight, putting Cate down for bed. It's been about 36 hours since the little incident. Cate was again overtired, and beginning to go downhill quickly in terms of attitude. That crying, whining, yawning, fussing kind of night. I finally got her into bed, and as she pushed down under the covers, she cried out, "My knees! My knees!"
I said, "Oh, I'm so sorry they still hurt."

Through flowing tears, Cate said, "Why did they have to put that there?"
"What?," I asked.
"The Driveway."

"Well, Cate, it's where they park their cars."

Her crying intensified as she said emphatically, "Well, why couldn't they park on the street and make a soft rug there instead?"

Good idea. Can't argue with that one.

And now that she got that frustration off her chest, Cate is fast asleep upstairs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home