Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I feel like Jonah

These thoughts have been burning a hole in my mind tonight. I had to sit down and type.

I realize I won't win many friends with this post, and that I might, in fact, lose a few in the process. I hope that's not the case, but have to share what's on my heart just the same.

As Christians, we are the salt of the earth. We are the light of the world. People all around us are living without Christ, and dying without Him, too. Our children need us to set an example of godliness for them, to read God's Word to them, to train and nurture them. Our neighbors need us to connect with them on a deeper level, to show them faith lived out. Our community needs us to serve and invest, to make an impact that will ripple beyond our generation.

And the majority of Christ-followers are . . . in front of their televisions. It's pretty hard to make a difference from the sofa.

Can I encourage you to evaluate how much time you are spending watching show after show after show? To do the math and think about how many hours you could be spending reading God's Word to your kids, talking to your neighbors, serving in your community instead?

I know it's not a popular thought. . .

in fact, it's pretty radical.

But there is life outside of television. It's the life that God has purposed for us to live.

"So. . . whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." I Corinthians 10:31

wendy (who almost hopped on a boat instead of posting these thoughts)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home