Sunday, July 9, 2006

Birthday Blessings

In looking at our schedules and planning our trip to Ohio, we realized we could spend Chad’s birthday weekend with his parents in Gibson City. Chad mentioned Springfield, home of the Lincoln Museum, and I jumped at the opportunity to plan an outing there, giving our family the full overview of Lincoln’s life in one long round-trip. We purchased our tickets and made our plans.

After many fun-filled days of travel, we all settled in for the night on Friday, July 7th, planning to rise early the next morning for the drive to Springfield. The big girls were in Grandma’s upstairs sewing room, with the littles and Chad and I in the basement bedroom. I was asleep before my head hit the pillow, I think. Chad awoke at 10:35 to a strange sound. He woke me, and just as I realized what the sound was, Chad lunged from the bed to the other side of the room. Caris was having a terrible seizure. I wept. I called 911 and then ran faster than ever before up the stairs to Beth and Gerry’s room. The ambulance was arriving as Beth threw on her robe and came to the living room. Chad had carried Caris up the stairs and we were on our way to the hospital within minutes. It was all far too familiar, having witnessed Callie’s multiple seizures, yet not so common as to settle a mother’s desperate heart. In the end, it was determined to be a febrile seizure. We were discharged sometime before 4:00 a.m. The intensity and duration of the seizure, however, left Caris lethargic for many hours. God’s mercy was so very real to me that night. I will always believe God awoke Chad, since he sleeps on his “good ear” and never hears anything at night! He acted strong and remained perfectly calm, even as I was falling apart. It was one of the few times he had been present for a seizure. God’s grace is greater than my own weakness, and for that I am so grateful!

While worried for Caris, I was also saddened that our family would miss the Lincoln Museum experience. Chad just insisted that he didn’t mind missing it, and that “the teacher should take the students” and let him stay home to rest with Caris. Through tears, I finally agreed to go on.

The presidential museum was amazing. What a special treat for the girls (and their mom) after all our months of studying Abraham Lincoln and his role in our nation’s history. We spent a full day touring the exhibits, enjoying dramatizations and video presentations, and browsing the gift shop. Gerry went out of his way to drive us all to Lincoln’s burial site before we left Springfield as well. We missed having Chad and Caris with us, but were so thankful for the blessing of that opportunity. We’ll all look forward to experiencing it as a family next time we “get there” in our history studies again.

We made sure to love on Chad with birthday cake and gifts when we returned to Gibson City. He had the added bonus of a real day of rest before our drive home to Little Rock the next day. Happy 36th birthday to my best friend, a stellar husband, and the greatest daddy ever. We love you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home