Sunday, May 21, 2006

Who's Teaching Who? Lessons from a Six Year-old

Our Callie is an amazing little girl. Today at lunch, she offered to say the prayer (again). She truly enjoys praying. I mentioned how great it was to hear her talking to God and how much I've noticed her prayers changing recently (since she "became a Christian" 4.5.06) She quickly started talking about how she prayed in church out loud this morning "and some of the boys wouldn't take a turn, but I did and I prayed for Emma that we would grow up and get to go to the same college so we can be friends again. . . and for Daddy in Iowa." Coplea replied that she doesn't always like to pray out loud. I told Callie, "I want to be like YOU! You are a special girl, and you understand about talking to God just because you want to and not because you feel like you have to. We can learn alot from you." (Coplea agreed.)




Well, tonight she was telling Chad goodnight over the phone, and told him (for the third time) that the tooth fairy brought her a silver dollar. (She lost her very first tooth late last night, and was beyond excited about it. A true mark of every kindergarten year - she barely made it with just 4 days of school left!) She had talked about that silver dollar for most of the morning. As she mentioned it again to Chad tonight, she said one more thing, very nonchalantly: "And you know what, Daddy? I gave it as my offering at church" (Interruption from Mommy, "You did?") "Uh-huh. I thought it would be a good idea so I gave it as my offering." And on she went to the next subject - swimming at Granddad's, I think.






Gulp. It was all she had. All she had looked forward to ever since her tooth first felt even the slightest bit loose several weeks ago. All she had thought about since that tooth fell out last night. All she had. And she gave it as "an offering" without one moment of hesitation.



Who's teaching who? I know I've learned alot from my kids today. "God loves a cheerful giver." I'm so glad He brought one into our family. It makes us both so very proud, and makes us realize all over again how it must make God feel to watch us return to Him some small portion of all the gifts He's given us.



Thank you, precious girl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home